Manager, Risk and Claims Management
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Financial Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Our Financial Services Department is seeking a Manager, Risk and Claims Management who will oversee the implementation and evolution of the Enterprise Risk Management program and provide oversight and guidance on claims and insurance matters for Metro Vancouver, a large infrastructure intensive organization. Your contributions leading the Risk and Claims Management program will enhance the organizations risk based decision making and augment the effectiveness of its claims and insurance activities.
You are: a knowledgeable and experienced risk and insurance professional and leader. As a skilled communicator and facilitator, you have a demonstrated ability to perform a consultative role addressing cross-functional risk issues.
The Manager, Risk and Claims Management reports to the CFO/GM, Financial Services and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 3A job family.
- Works as a technical/specialist to lead the risk management program for Metro Vancouver. Works collaboratively with senior management and boards across the organization to assess and identify potential risks that may hinder the reputation, safety, security and financial well-being of Metro Vancouver.
- Supports operations by identifying and managing exposures to claims and risks and develops mitigation strategies to reduce or eliminate exposures that may result in financial losses to Metro Vancouver. Works with client departments to provide risk management advice in reviewing procurement documents and proposed contracts and agreements.
- Manages the day-to-day Risk and Insurance Program; ensuring exposures and risks are effectively underwritten. Ensures the appropriate types of insurance, levels of coverage, terms and pricing are in place.
- Accountable for the Risk Management Business Unit’s budget preparation, reporting and resource allocation. Monitors and controls spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds within an approved budget. Reviews and authorizes payment of insurance premiums, claims settlements and fees.
- Participates in key corporate planning and decision making processes such as strategic planning, budget planning, and project management to ensure risk management is embedded in those processes.
- Analyzes market trends in risk exposure and financing. Identifies emerging issues from a variety of sources and escalates to senior management.
- Works with the Corporate Planning Committee (CPC), operational directors and Risk Management Committee in establishing, defining and articulating risk culture. Enacts programs and training to evolve the organization toward a culture of risk management and works with staff to develop skills in risk management across the organization.
- Prepares periodic reports on corporate risk management efforts; develops and monitors risk management metrics.
- Develops and implements risk management policies and programs to improve the effectiveness of the Enterprise Risk Management program.
- Hires, supervises, directs and develops staff monitoring performance in accordance with goals and objectives. Ensures adherence to corporate policies and collective agreements. Leads, coaches, mentors and develops staff recognizing the importance of leadership, supervisory and technical training. Develops and sustains a flexible workforce and encourages staff to pursue opportunities that complement their skills and experience.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- University degree in risk management, public or business administration, or other relevant discipline. 7 years of recent, related experience in a public sector insurance or risk management environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Canadian Risk Management Certification (CRM) is an asset.
- Designation as a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) is an asset.
- Strong technical knowledge and understanding of Metro Vancouver operations; ability to work with project teams to understand key issues and determine appropriate risk mitigation approaches and insurance requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement risk management policies and programs to improve the effectiveness of the Enterprise Risk Management program.
- Sound budgeting and financial management skills. Ability to monitor budgets, meet financial objectives and ensure the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including well developed presentation and facilitation skills; ability to provide clear instructions and communicate complex technical requirements and implications to diverse audiences.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts. Skill in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations.
- Ability to work under broad direction and use significant independent judgment. Ability to identify opportunities to address emerging and changing needs. Ability to develop and revise policies, procedures and control assessments in response to identified risks considering the long-term implications of decisions and actions.
- Ability to meet timelines and objectives requiring persistence in overcoming obstacles.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills including the ability to mentor, coach and guide direct reports.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 7, 2023.