Capital Regional District
Manager, Telecommunications and Automation
The Manager, Telecommunications and Automation leads, coordinates and delivers corporate telecommunications and automation planning and design work related to the implementation, support, and integration of Operational Technology (OT) systems into corporate IT security and communication systems. This position acts as an Information Technology (IT) liaison to and partner with line operating departments to ensure the successful execution of projects related to the support, maintenance, and operations of systems such as: Microwave PTP Radio, Voice Radio, and Data Radio systems related to Water Metering, SCADA, and Hydrology/Weather Stations. Leading staff and working in a team environment, the Manager is responsible for the design, aligning OT systems with corporate security programs; procurement; documentation; project management and maintenance of projects executed through line operating departments and other stakeholders as appropriate.
Key Accountabilities / Position Outcomes
- Manages and leads a team of professional and technical staff in the development and delivery of corporate telecommunications and automation activities critical to success of the organization, including the implementation, support and integration of Operational Technology systems into corporate IT security and communication systems.
- Provides professional certification of work within field of expertise including signing and sealing related design drawings and as-constructed drawings, as required.
- Leads corporate communication system design and delivery initiatives related to new systems, replacements, or upgrades.
- Provides professional and technical expertise, guidance and direction to technicians and staff including acting as project lead as assigned.
- Oversees project management and implementation from concept to commissioning specific to electrical and telecommunication systems projects executed through line operating departments.
- Prepares and reviews contract specifications, detailed cost estimates, staff reports, requests for proposals, and tender documents.
- Designs, and evaluates network architecture and communication networking with the goal of creating a single common CRD communications network utilizing methodologies across multiple media types including voice, data, radio, software, physical or approves the designs of existing systems.
- Evaluates, maintains and develops standards for various operating department systems (OT and Voice Data Radio).
- Reviews existing system operations and forecasts potential improvements, consolidation or replacement prior to their need.
- Develops engineering qualification and bid documentation to support telecommunication RFPs for potential consulting and design contracts.
- Prepares technical engineering submissions for use by internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures current standards are adhered to for design, construction and operational matters.
- Upgrades knowledge and experience to evaluate and/or implement engineering standards and practices in compliance with federal and provincial guidelines and legislation.
- Oversees telecommunication sites by developing site management practices, maintenance procedures, maintains an equipment inventory and audits to ensure conformance.
- Liaises with operating line departments on the development and creation of related new projects s.
- Responsible for the leadership and management of employees and contractors within area of responsibility, including employment and labour relations matters involving: employee hiring, promotion, demotion and other personnel matters; discipline and discharge; representing management in the grievance procedure; input on behalf of management into labour relations matters, and representing management on committees; maintaining Employer confidentiality; and developing, supporting and implementing various corporate and legislated policies, procedures and practices.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar professional engineering discipline specializing in communications, and 10 years of relevant experience specific to telecommunications systems and complex SCADA systems; primarily focused on water and wastewater systems is preferred.
- Must have experience working with:
- Data collection systems across multiple media types and protocols
- Local and Enterprise Data Historians
- SCADA system infrastructure and process automation control infrastructure
- Membership or eligible for membership in Engineers and Geoscientists BC or applicable regulated body.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License.
Role-specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Exceptional management and leadership skills, both in the direct and indirect management of staff and stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Expert knowledge of telecommunication systems, equipment, electrical instrumentation and SCADA for water and wastewater system design, including knowledge of process and treatment plant design and operations.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical instrumentation and SCADA standards, materials, methods of construction and design, contract administration and engineering operations.
- Knowledge and experience with IT/OT system architecture, including the use, maintenance and consolidation of complex telecommunication systems.
- Detailed understanding of applicable standards and best practices governing IT/OT telecommunications infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience with project management and project oversight working with complex and diverse initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act, OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
- Knowledge of federal/provincial/municipal regulations, legislation, codes, standards and guidelines related to electrical instrumentation and SCADA for water and wastewater.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases
To learn more about working with us, visit our website.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.