City of Lloydminster
Finance /Accounting / Economics
City of Lloydminster
Jun 27, 2023
(1 Position Available)
Term of Employment: Full-time, Continuing
Rate of Pay: Band 6: $37.56 – $41.02 per hour (Subject to CUPE 1015 Agreement)
Location: City Hall
- Reporting directly to either the Manager, Accounting Services, or the Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis, the Municipal Accountant will be responsible for the most complex (many components or steps) and some complicated (degree of difficulty) routine and non-routine accounting duties such as journal entries, general ledger reconciliations, and financial reporting.
- The Municipal Accountant will support the production of monthly reports, provide analysis and commentary for budget vs. actuals, capital project progress reports, cost recovery, and special non-routine requests, for management review.
- Additionally, it is expected that the Municipal Accounting will work directly with their respective manager to recommend and implement improvements to accounting processes, policies, and financial controls, in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- A successful Municipal Accountant requires a strong understanding of accounting, financial systems, data, and internal controls to ensure the integrity of the financial data with the City’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Duties & Responsibilities
General areas of knowledge and responsibility:
- Most complex and some complicated journal entries.
- Most complex and some complicated account reconciliations.
- (Including control accounts related to sub-ledgers, such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventory, business licenses, utilities, and taxes)
- Bank reconciliation.
- Accounting for tangible capital assets.
- Accounting for grants.
- Accounting for investments.
- Accounting for debt.
- Budget vs. actual reports – operating/capital.
- Quarterly financial statements.
- GST/PST remittances.
- Progress payment/holdback review.
- System configuration and troubleshooting.
- Other accounting tasks that are complex and complicated in nature, as required.
- Maintain a calm demeanor in stressful or emergent situations when expectations change, or things don’t go as planned.
- Provide coverage for all levels of accounting clerks, as required.
- Support the accurate collection of financial data from the core financial system into the project accounting system, and budgeting software to produce monthly budget vs. actuals, capital project reports, etc.
- Provide training/mentorship to other team members and external departments as it relates to project accounting (JAOs), budget, and analysis, etc.
Budget, Forecasts, and Analysis
- Support the budgeting process by entering complicated information into the budgeting software such as inter-departmental expenses for management review.
- Support the analysis of the operating and capital budgets, as required for management review.
Business Processes and Procedures
- Identify and provide recommendations to improve financial and administrative policies and procedures.
- Support the implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Commitment to continuous improvement.
Treasury and Debt Management
Support the accurate collection of financial information to produce financial projections and non-routine requests related to cash, debt, etc.
Education and Development:
- Provide training/mentorship to other team members and external departments as it relates to purchase orders, receiving, payment issuance, invoicing, and other accounting processes to support accurate accounting of financial information.
- Provide training sessions/presentations for specific groups.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to quality financial management.
- Invest time in personal professional development.
- Provide insightful, motivating, and constructive feedback to support continuous improvement in the department.
- Have a high standard of ethics and confidentiality.
- Maintain a positive public image as pertains to the City of Lloydminster.
Coaching and Mentoring:
- Support the team in its growth and development by investing time in sharing skills by training other team members.
- Develop, document, and then present a new process to educate users with management guidance. Review and guide others through this process.
Schedule: The position is office based. Normal working hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these standard hours.
- A graduate from a recognized post-secondary institution with a Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration with a major in Accounting or Finance is mandatory.
- A minimum of 4 years relevant accounting experience is mandatory.
- A designated Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or candidate and other relevant post-graduate credentials will be considered in the absence of the minimum relevant accounting experience.
- Ability to think critically and problem-solve independently.
- Self-motivated and can work independently with little direction.
- Proven ability to maintain a strong attention to detail, a high level of accuracy and meet deadlines while working under pressure.
- Demonstrates strong technical accounting competency.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and accounting software such as Diamond GP, Pearl by WorkTech, or Questica.
- Strong professional communication skills with the ability to be clear and concise both verbally and in written correspondence with all levels of staff, and external stakeholders or partners.
- Ability to speak in public and has developed presentation skills.
- Adaptable to changing priorities and can manage time while maintaining accuracy and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; respectful, open-minded, collaborative and a reliable team member.
- Willingness to take on leadership opportunities such as leading projects independently.
- Strong research, analytical, and report writing skills.
- Relevant municipal experience would be considered an asset.
- Must demonstrate a high standard of ethics and confidentiality.
- Able to promote a positive and pleasant culture with pride in the organization.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Successful applicant must provide proof of qualifications.
- Applicants with international education will be required to include an Academic Credential Assessment with application.
Closing Date: June 27, 2023
The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be sent to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
HR Generalist, Employee Relations
City of Lloydminster
Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
Apply at: www.lloydminster.ca/jobs