Operations Worker II, Collections Spare Driver (Sanitation Services)
Requisition ID: 37918
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. These range from such fundamental services as water supply, sewerage, drainage, refuse removal, street access, and lighting, to regulatory functions such as traffic control, parking enforcement, transportation planning, and preservation of utility and communication corridors.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Spare Driver in Collections is assigned to Automated/Semi-Automated Truck Driver work to collect curbside garbage and green bin material. Drivers are assigned to established routes/beats throughout the city and must be able to operate safely while providing excellent customer service to residents. Drivers are expected to exit the truck to tag or pick up knocked-over totes and be courteous and professional when sharing the lane with other drivers and service providers. When not assigned to curbside collection, Spare Drivers may be assigned to other Sanitation Services Branch specific work.
The Sanitation Services Branch functions 365 days/year, applicants must be willing and able to work shift work if operationally required. The Collections shift is from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Please note that training may be scheduled on weekends. Successful applicants’ availability must meet Branch expectations in order to continue employment with the Branch.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring and truck driving experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous waste collection experience is desirable. Some knowledge of collections and/or recycling.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and respectfully deal with the public.
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment variety of tools and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detai
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
As part of our recruitment process to determine the successful candidate, you will be screened and ranked based on the following:
- Job Application
- ICBC Documents
- Driving Assessment
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2023
Position End Date: August 2024
Number of Positions: 7
Salary Information: Base Salary: $30.42 per hour. Driving rate: $33.17 per hour. Plus Productivity Bonus: $34.34 per hour. Employees receive 12% of their base salary in lieu of benefits.
Application Close: July 11, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.