Competition #: 125-COV-23
Closing Date: August 2, 2023
Annual Salary: $95,217.82 – 112,020.97
Reporting to the General Manager, Planning, the Parks Planner is responsible for development of park plans and policy, acquisition and design of new parkland and the design of improvements to existing parks. The Parks Planner works closely with Planning, Engineering and Operations staff and undertakes a variety of parks planning and capital projects.
- Prepares and makes recommendations for a wide variety of parks projects, including the Parks Master Plan, design of new parks, and redevelopment of existing parks.
- Creates both conceptual and detailed designs for park improvements using AutoCAD and/or ArcGIS.
- Directs and oversees contractors for parks construction projects.
- Makes recommendations for parkland acquisition.
- Conducts public participation through innovative and effective community engagement initiatives.
- Facilitate community partnerships that enhance the park system, including parkland acquisition.
- Prepares, submits and reports on grant applications to fund park projects.
- Researches relevant data and best practices in parks acquisition, design and management.
- Makes presentations to Council and public meetings as required.
- Responds to enquiries and explains policies and initiatives.
- Manages the parkland inventory.
- Develops park brochures and other publications related to the parks system for the general public.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning, or other recognized equivalent.
- Membership, or eligible for membership, in the B.C. or Canadian Society of Landscape Architects or the Planning Institute of BC.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a related position preferably in both urban and natural parks planning.
- Valid BC Drivers’ License Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape architecture and park planning.
- Considerable knowledge of landscape construction, materials, costs and methods.
- Considerable knowledge of best practices and trends in urban planning and sustainability.
- Ability to manage several projects at one time in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to participate effectively in a creative team setting and in group problem solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Excellent computer/technology skills and aptitude.
- Proficient in land based mapping technologies such as AutoCAD, ArcGIS and GPS systems.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Knowledge of the operational health and safety regulations applicable to areas under construction.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in a municipal planning or parks environment.
- Eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) training.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) training.
- Emergency response training.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!