City of West Kelowna
West Kelowna is a thriving city that has a rural sophistication appeal and is a haven for outdoor recreation. Sun-soaked lakeshores, agricultural charm, and access to urban jobs and living have made West Kelowna the place to be. We maintain a deep connection with our agricultural roots and we celebrate the one-of-a-kind character of our community. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, numerous employee wellness incentives, an earned time off program and professional development opportunities.
Summarized Position Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will coordinate the effective and efficient administration of the City’s complex bi-weekly payroll in compliance with collective agreements, policies, and statutory requirements. The position is responsible for coordinating the accurate preparation, calculation, and completion of payroll for approximately 300 municipal employees in a unionized environment. Work involves coordinating and participating in activities to ensure the production of an accurate biweekly payroll; preparing, updating, and maintaining the Vadim computerized payroll system, maintain and update the master database for individual employees, balance and reconcile payroll accounts including preparation of journal entries, perform year-end payroll processing and reporting. The position also administers the municipal pension plan. This is a unionized position reporting to the Financial Services Manager / Deputy CFO.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- National Payroll Institute – Certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certification
- Completion of 2 years of recognized accounting program
- Minimum of 5 years progressive payroll experience including working experience with highly complex collective agreements
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers License
- Knowledge of Vadim Payroll software and extensive experience in a variety of other payroll software platforms
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices and principles used in the preparation, calculation and the processing of payrolls including appropriate account classification codes and of the applicable laws, rules, regulations, and legislation
- Ability to understand, interpret, explain and apply laws, regulations, agreements and procedures concerning payroll
- Working knowledge of the pension plans
- Ability to obtain and maintain a criminal record check
- Ability to perform and succeed under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Sustained high attention to detail and the ability to maintain accuracy
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
Applications are accepted online at westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Competition No. 23-32E, Closes July 23, 2023
Full Time – Permanent |Onsite| 35 hrs/wk | $39.31/hr
Benefits | Municipal Pension Plan | Earned Time Off Program |4 wks of vacation at 2 years