City of Port Alberni
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of over 18, 000 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
We are currently looking for a Planner II to join the City’s planning team. Reporting to the Manager of Planning, the successful applicant is responsible for undertaking a wide variety of long range and current planning assignments as well as administering the City’s OCP Bylaw, Zoning Bylaw and Development Permit Area guidelines.
- Review and process development applications including OCP and zoning amendments, development variance permits, and development permits
- Coordinate long range planning projects
- Review, revise and develop long range plans and policies
- Conduct studies on a wide variety of land use, urban growth, environmental sustainability and community livability trends, opportunities and initiative
- Support the implementation of the City’s Official Community Plan
- Work closely with the public, stakeholders, developers, external agencies and other departments to provide support on planning and development issues;
- Present development applications to City Council, the Advisory Planning Commission, and other committees
- Be creative and use sound judgment in making planning recommendations
- Coordinate various development-related initiatives
Qualifications & Experience:
- A graduate degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Geography or Landscape Architecture, with a minimum of five years of related planning experience in a municipal setting; an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Good working knowledge of site planning, urban design, and community planning practices as well as planning legislation and applicable bylaws and subdivision control provisions and requirements
- Demonstrated proficiency using various computer applications including the MSOffice Suite, graphics and database software and Adobe. GIS experience would be an asset
- Excellent report writing, research, analytical, problem-solving and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service and organizational skills
- Possession of a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
The rate of pay for this position is $41.80 per hour and includes a full benefits package. In addition, this position works a flex- day schedule.
Interested candidates may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter, including copies of your qualifications, by 4:30pm on July 28, 2023:
Attention: Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
By email: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.