Town of Cochrane
The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 30,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 250 employees.
We are excited to recruit for two Planner II positions. The Town of Cochrane is a rapidly growing community. The team of professionals in the Planning department ensure Town development is thoughtful, safe and follows all regulations. Healthy growth in a community relies on strong connections. We believe in the importance of these connections for the Town of Cochrane and for the Planning department.
Reporting to the Manager, Planning Services, this position prepares and processes statutory and non- statutory planning documents, development and subdivision applications and presents recommendations to the Cochrane Planning Commission, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and, Council as required.
Note, one of the Planner II positions is a Permanent, Full-Time position, the other is a Temporary, Full-Time position.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees, and we are accountable to all the residents of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
If you want to make a difference in our community and have a minimum 5 years experience in a municipal planning setting paired with a degree in urban and regional planning, geography, architecture or a related discipline, we welcome your application for the Planner II position.
As the Planner II, you will:
- Prepares and processes statutory and non-statutory planning documents, subdivision applications and development permit applications.
- Prepares and processes subdivision applications and ensures compliance with the Area Structure Plans, Cochrane Strategic Plan, Cochrane Sustainability Plan and the Municipal Development Plan.
- Provides guidance and advice to the Cochrane Planning Commission, Town Council, Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and ad hoc planning committees, when required.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations to the Cochrane Planning Commission, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, Town Council (when required) and any ad hoc planning committees.
- Ensures application timelines and statutory requirements are met.
- Assists in developing and implementing planning process improvements.
- Responds to customer inquiries with respect to planning policy, procedures and any current planning applications.
- Works with applicants and stakeholders to resolve issues arising from planning applications.
- Undertakes evaluation for pre-application enquiries and advises customers accordingly.
- Assists with business planning for the Planning and Engineering Services section.
- Attends evening meetings as required.
- Maintains constructive working relationship with internal stakeholders.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- A bachelor’s degree in urban and regional planning, geography, architecture, engineering, or a related discipline is required. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a municipal planning environment preferred.
- Knowledge of municipal planning processes and practices.
- Membership, or eligibility for membership in the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI).
- Evaluate and assess a variety of planning requests and development submissions with independence.
- Strong attention to details and timelines.
- Strong computer, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to work on an independent basis and as a team member.
- Analytical skills and the ability to understand, analyze and report technical information.
Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all employees. As a Cochrane employee, you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Cochrane directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position.
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey.
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST July 16th, 2023 at www.cochrane.ca/jobs
- Salary range $45.89 – $54.13
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.