Job ID: 20230377
Location: Greater Vancouver
Full/Part Time: Full-time
A career at TransLink and our family of companies means working with people with a wide range of skills and perspectives, all teaming up towards a common goal: preserving and enhancing the region’s world-envied quality of life. Together, we connect the region and enhance its livability by providing a sustainable transit and transportation network, embraced by our communities and people.
At TransLink we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace, recognizing the unique value and skills every individual brings.
Looking for a great place to work where your contributions are valued and you can make a difference in a vibrant city? At TransLink, one of BC’s Top Employers, you’ll help make Metro Vancouver a better place to live, built on transportation excellence. Put your future in motion!
In pursuit of making the region a better place to live for everyone, built on transportation excellence, this role provides transportation planning expertise, leadership and project management to programs/projects of low to moderate impact, risk and complexity as well as contributes to projects of higher impact, risk and complexity.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Typically requires a university degree (in Planning, Engineering, Public Policy or a related discipline), plus four (4) years of related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts and practices of transportation planning.
- Knowledge of plans, products, roles and responsibilities of government agencies, NGOs and associations.
- Solid knowledge of TransLink’s decision-making context including its strategic context and organizational and governance structure.
- Solid leadership skills with the ability to communicate and provide technical guidance and expertise to other transportation planning professionals and to lead projects.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to write and deliver well-prepared reports and presentations.
- Solid analytical skills including the ability to identify and communicate transportation planning and project- related risks and opportunities in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment; also includes skills to analyze transport data, trends and issues
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to build trust by consulting with internal and external contacts and applying a team approach as needed to achieve solutions. Also includes negotiation skills to make refinements to contracts and to conflict resolution at a basic level of risk and complexity.
- Solid decision-making skills including the ability to resolve transportation planning and project-related issues within defined limits or outside of the policies, and to identify and know when to refer issues to others.
This is a Planner position within the System Plans team, which is situated within TransLink’s larger Transportation Planning and Policy Division. Key areas of responsibility for the System Plans team include:
Planning and design of regional transportation networks related to walking, cycling, transit, and roads, including the Reliable and Fast Transit Network and Major Bikeway Network featured in Transport 2050
Development and management of policies, standards, and guidelines that support the planning and operations related to different components of the regional transportation system (e.g. Transit Service Guidelines, Park and Ride Guidelines, guiding elements for the Major Bikeway Network);
Development of sub-regional area transport plans that identify changes to transit and transportation networks that are needed over the near- and longer-term to support changing patterns of land use and travel; and
Program design for local government cost-share funding programs related to walking, cycling, and roads, including supporting local governments with identifying and developing projects that advance regional objectives (e.g. implementing the Major Bikeway Network, improving walking connections to transit).
This Planner position reports to the Manager of the System Plans team. As a Planner, you would be responsible for leading assignments of moderate complexity and scope, and you would play a support role to other team members on larger assignments. Previous experience with planning processes, multi- modal network planning and street design, managing consultants, coordinating with internal stakeholders, and engaging with external stakeholders and the public are all assets.
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
37.5 hours per week.
Hybrid – This position offers the flexibility of working both on-site and remotely within B.C.
Rate of Pay
Salary $85,603 – $107,003 per annum (Actual salary offered will be commensurate with education, experience and internal parity).
The Total Compensation Package includes Extended Health, Dental, Transit Pass and enrollment in the Public Service Pension Plan. Focus on your development through tuition reimbursement, training, and mentorship programs. Enjoy a variety of health and wellness programs, including access to gym facilities. Speak to us to know more about what we offer.
How to Apply
Please click the ‘Apply’ button at the top right corner of the page or go to http://www.translink.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ’s by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
TransLink is committed to employment equity and building a diverse workforce, representative of the customers we serve and the many communities in the Metro Vancouver region. We welcome and encourage Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities to apply. Learn more about TransLink’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org