Parkland Community Planning Services
Technologists / Technicians
Parkland Community Planning Services
Jul 31, 2023
PCPS is a shared planning department and planning consultancy operated by member municipalities in Central Alberta. We assist and work closely with member and client municipalities to successfully respond to their land use and community planning needs. Our scope of practice is diverse, ranging from development permit review to subdivision approval to visioning and master planning for entire communities.
Our location in Red Deer, along with other Central Alberta communities, provides an attractive and desirable setting to enjoy a high quality of life. At the end of the workday there is time to be at a mountain trailhead or campground by early evening.
We have an opening for a Planning Technician for a full time, permanent position commencing July 2023
We will also consider applications from those interested in a part-time (60 to 80% FTE) position.
The Planning Technician:
- Prepares maps, drawings and related visual products using AutoCAD and GIS.
- Maintains and updates municipal base maps, registered plans, land use district maps and GIS.
- information layers and products.
- Collects and analyzes background data in the preparation of reports and plans.
- Maintains effective liaison with planning staff, taking initiative to clarify needs and approaches for various materials needed by the planners.
- Prepares display materials for presentation.
THE RIGHT PERSON
PCPS seeks a talented individual with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and a desire to provide the highest quality of professional services.
You possess the following qualifications:
- A technical diploma or a degree in a discipline related to land use and land use planning or GIS applications used in a municipal setting.
- Experience working in a municipal environment is preferred.
- A minimum of a valid Class 5 Driver’s license.
You possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong knowledge and abilities in the use of AutoCAD and ESRI products (Arc Map, Arc Pro, Arc GIS Online), use of Mango mapping is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to use graphics to convey ideas.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when working with the public, municipal staff, applicants, and other parties and build positive working relationships.
- The ability to critically assess information and thoughtfully solve problems of a complex and technical nature.
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work as part of a team.
- Solid organizational, time management, project management, and prioritizing skills.
- A commitment to ongoing professional learning and development.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to help members and clients with their priorities.
- Proficient in the use of the MS Office suite of programs.
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to the opportunity to challenge you and grow and expand your work experience as a planning technician, PCPS offers:
- Competitive salary, excellent benefits package, and pension plan through LAPP.
- Dedicated resources for ongoing professional training and development.
- Annual paid vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Please forward your cover letter and resume in confidence to Ken Woitt, Director, Parkland Community Planning Services via email at email@example.com before or on July 31, 2023.
Please use Word or pdf format files only and indicate “planning technician position” in the subject line of your email. Your cover letter should summarize your qualifications, provide three (3) employment related. references, and provide your expectations regarding annual salary and start date.
PCPS thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.