Become a Vancouver Police Officer
The Vancouver Police Department is seeking highly qualified and diverse candidates to help make Vancouver the safest major city in Canada. As a large port city, we offer exciting, varied, and unique career opportunities not found in other departments.
As part of the Lower Mainland region, with over three million people, Vancouver’s population swells from almost 700,000 residents to roughly 1.5 million people every day. Our city covers 114 square kilometres and boasts nearly 160 kilometres of shoreline, including the Port of Vancouver, as well as Stanley Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America. Recognized as one of the world’s most livable major cities, Vancouver attracts people from diverse backgrounds who want to live, work, and play in a vibrant environment.
Police work is a challenging and rewarding career, and the benefits are not only measured in dollars and cents. Saving a life, making a difference, taking a criminal off the streets: these are your everyday rewards.
Who are we?
The Vancouver Police Department is a diverse, innovative, and award-winning police department. We serve Vancouver’s citizens and visitors, guided by our principles of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect, and excellence. We provide all who work here with the unique and rewarding opportunities that come with policing in an international port city, and the support they need to excel, both personally and professionally.
Who are you?
You are a caring and empathetic problem-solver, with a desire to make the world a better place. Looking for a career beyond the ordinary 9 to 5, and you want something exciting, challenging, and rewarding. You are a team player, you believe that a group of committed, diverse, and goal-oriented individuals can accomplish extraordinary things.
What do we offer?
Your workplace may be the streets of Vancouver or the water surrounding it, a local school or community policing centre, at the end of a police dog leash or undercover in the drug world, at the helm of a boat or an armoured response vehicle; in a crime lab or in the online world, on horseback or motorcycle – the choices are many and no two days will ever look the same.
Your career path can be as unique as you.
Our officers come from many different backgrounds and circumstances, but the common bond that unites them is their commitment to public safety, and to keeping each other safe. At the end of the day, you can return home, satisfied knowing that you and your teammates have made a positive difference in the world, and in the lives of others. When those days are difficult, you have an extraordinary group of co-workers, pulling you through, lifting you up, and making the world right again.
Whether your playground is the ski hills, the ocean, or forest trails, or you are looking for world-class restaurants, nightlife, shopping, cultural and sporting events, Vancouver can offer it all. Add to that unbeatable and memorable experiences for families, and you realize that Vancouver is the place to be.
- We offer competitive salaries, starting at $77,983, and growing to $111,709 within four years.
- We have gyms in all police buildings, career and mental health support, and an athletic therapist and physiotherapist on staff.
- We offer two weeks of vacation in your first year, three weeks in your second year, and the opportunity to take overtime hours as additional vacation time.
- Our extended medical and dental benefits are generous, and our pension plan ranks among the best government and private sector plans in terms of eligibility and monthly payments.
- We have gyms in all of our police buildings, along with a dedicated athletic therapist and physiotherapist on staff.
- Our peer support system is second to none. We take care of our people and their families.
After graduation, you will be prepared to hit the streets of Vancouver, but your training does not end there. The VPD is committed to ongoing training throughout your career.
You will have numerous opportunities to develop new skills, through in-house courses, and advanced programs at the JIBC or the Canadian Police College. VPD members also train annually at our state-of-the-art tactical training centre, which includes an indoor firearms range and force options gymnasium.
Whether you’re searching for connection to meaningful work, the community you serve, or the team you work with, we’ve got it all. We take care of our community, and we take care of our people.
The Vancouver Police Department is looking for exceptional people who share our five ICARE core values: integrity, compassion, accountability, respect, and excellence.
- minimum 19 years of age
- excellent character
- physically fit and in excellent health
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- no criminal convictions, no adult criminal charges pending
- a valid BC class 5 driver’s licence with no restrictions and a good driving record
- meet the visual acuity standards
- valid current standard first aid / CPR “C” certification
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent, plus a minimum of 30 academic post-secondary credits
- fully vaccinated (defined as completion of the full vaccination cycle with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada) unless there is a valid exemption pursuant to the Human Rights Code
- a degree or diploma in any field of study
- second language
- volunteer experience
For more information, visit JoinVPD.ca.