Program Coordinator – Arena & Sports
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community.
The West Vancouver Parks, Culture & Community Services Department has an opening for a permanent, full-time Program Coordinator – Arena & Sports. Reporting to the Recreation Services Supervisor , this position oversees a wide range of recreation programs focusing on ice and dry floor activities, sports, camps, and community events.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Planning, developing, promoting, and supervising a variety of programs, camps and events at the West Vancouver Community Centre, Ice Arena, and surrounding community, including arena and sports programs, summer and school break camps, and community events;
- assessing individual and community program needs and interests;
- recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, supervising and reviewing the work of a large group of subordinates, including union and non-union casual staff and instructors that are engaged in providing a wide range of recreation programs;
- scheduling, coordinating, and supporting community volunteers in the provision of recreation programs;
- exploring, developing, and coordinating community partnerships, including program service providers and other community groups;
- preparing promotional material and promoting interest and participation in related program areas preparing budgets, monitoring revenues and expenditures, analyzing statistics, and submitting reports
- working collaboratively and as part of an engaged team to design, support and promote district wide recreation programs and services; and,
- performing other duties as required.
The preferred candidate will possess: strong leadership, budgetary, organizational, communication and customer service skills; previous experience and proven success in exemplary teaching methods and group leadership techniques related to ice arena and sport programs; sound knowledge of ice arena and sport facilities, operations, and equipment required for a wide range of physical abilities and age groups; a knowledge of the recreation needs, trends, interests, requirements, and resources of the community; familiarity with the philosophy, principles, practices, and objectives of community recreation.
The successful candidate has completed a University Degree in recreation, sports or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Required certification includes Standard First Aid; and a valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle. Working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel, software is required. Working knowledge of JDE and Activenet software are an asset.
The successful candidate will be required to supply an acceptable Police Information Check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the class specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department and on WestNet.
WVMEA (Union) – Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work:
37.5 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$32.87 per hour
This position has a pay structure with five steps which increase annually.
11:59 p.m. on July 27, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted