Town of Cochrane
Records and Information Management Team Lead
The Town of Cochrane is excited to recruit for the position of Records and Information Management Team Lead within our Legislative Services team. The Legislative Services department coordinates Council meeting agendas and minutes, Council Committee recruitment and regulatory reporting. They oversee all Assessment Review Board functions, facilitate the Subdivision Development Appeal Board processes, manage all corporate records, and ensure Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). They manage the Municipal Bylaw registry and the Town’s insurance portfolio and conduct elections and census.
Wow! This is a busy team with always lots on the go. They are passionate, dedicated and focused; and they need a Records and Information Management Team Lead to join them.
Reporting to the Manager, Legislative Services this position is responsible for the leadership and management of a comprehensive organizational Records and Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Management Program. Appointed as the FOIP Coordinator, they are responsible for implementing and promoting innovative and practical information management to ensure the municipality is fully compliant with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). They are an organized legislative professional with strong attention to detail and knowledge of records management.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, the Town of Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees, and we are accountable to all the residents of the Town of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
If you want to make a difference in our community and have related post secondary education supplemented by 3-5 years of advanced professional experience, we welcome your application.
What are some of the duties of the Records and Information Management Team Lead?
- Lead a team of records and access to information and protection of privacy management specialists including planning, training/mentoring, monitoring, auditing, and administering of the program and related change management.
- Research legislation and networks with municipalities, authorities and stakeholders to develop policies, administrative directives, procedures and training modules to manage the lifecycle of digital and physical records. Assesses risks and focuses on achieving a maximum and consistent level of cross-organization utilization.
- Establish, implement and direct the workflow of records and access to information and protection of privacy management through the department and in collaboration with the team. Sets goals and priorities for projects and process improvement planning.
- Access private and confidential information while conducting the records and information program and maintains full confidentiality, to abide by privacy-protection laws.
- Develop, implements, and monitor business units for the effective management of the information lifecycle including collection, use, disclosure, storage, archiving and destruction of information resources to ensure compliance with the Records and Information Management (RIM) directive. Provides guidance and expertise to manage formal and informal information.
- Collaborate with business units to drive electronic records and information best practice and compliance and develop and maintain a records-supported disaster preparedness program and business continuity.
- Implement, administer, and/or train staff and management in Electronic Records Management, including RecFind Records Management Software to ensure accurate inventory and retrieval of records.
- Litigation Support: in conjunction with the Director of Legislative & Administrative Services, collaborates with legal counsel to ensure requested litigation documentation is supplied.
- Collect and interpret data for FOIP requests, implements policies, procedures, processes and develops training and support on the FOIP Act and its obligations. Coordinates internal and external stakeholders’ requests for records under the FOIP Act and maintains relevancy of FOIP through participation in industry initiatives and monitoring of precedents and Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) orders.
- Coordinate access impact assessments and privacy impact assessments to ensure compliance regarding personal and confidential Town and third-party information from the collection of corporate records through their lifecycle to disposition.
- Ensure all policies, processes and forms developed by the Town of Cochrane comply with access and privacy legislation.
- Coordinate search for information; monitor and track requests, collect fees and oversee on-site review.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff, external associations, agencies and service providers, responding to requests for information or queries as appropriate.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education: Certified Records Manager, Certified Records Analyst Library Sciences Records Management Certification, and Information Access and Protection of Privacy (IAPP) Certification, or a related discipline, or equivalent combination or education and experience.
- 3-5 years of advanced professional knowledge of information and records, demonstrated understanding of municipal laws and government legislation related to records management, access to information and protection of privacy, the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act, Municipal Government Act, related regulations, and procedures.
- Municipal government experience.
- People leader experience is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in Access and Privacy Protection legislation.
- Expertise in Records Management.
- Strong analytical, research, interpretation, and critical thinking skills.
- Patience, conflict resolution negotiation, and influencing skills.
- Collaborative, analytical thinker and goals/priorities planner.
- Innovative, comprehension of new technology and best practices.
- Adaptable collaborator, willing to reprioritize and provide support as required and find opportunities to help teammates to grow.
- Organized and time management focused with an acute awareness for efficiencies and identifying distractions. Able to manage a heavy workload and meet short timelines.
- Confident and accurate written and verbal communicator capable of listening effectively and creating impactful presentations, documents/correspondence.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Professional, Records Information Management (RIM).
Certifications, Licenses and/or Designations:
- Post-Secondary education in a recognized Records Management Certificate Degree, Diploma or Certificate Program Certified Records Manager, Certified Records Analyst, Library Sciences Certificate or in a related discipline.
- Information Access and Protection of Privacy Certificate (FOIP Certification – U of A).
- National Advance Certificate in Local Authorities Administration is an asset.
- ARMA International Membership is an asset.
- ICS 100.
- Participation in the Town’s Safety Training program.
The Town of Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all of its employees. As a Town of Cochrane employee, you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at Town worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Town directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills, and abilities for this position.
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey.
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST July 23rd, 2023, at www.cochrane.ca/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.