Métis Nation British Columbia
Regional Health Coordinator
Ministry of Health
Position: Temporary Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)- until March 31, 2024
Closes: Posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice
Classification: Coordinator 1
Salary Range: $55,000 – $65,000 annually
ABOUT MÉTIS NATION BRITISH COLUMBIA:
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) develops and enhances opportunities for our Métis communities by implementing culturally relevant social and economic programs and services. Through teamwork, respect, dedication, accountability, integrity, and professionalism, MNBC strives to build a proud, self-governing, sustainable Nation in recognition of inherent rights for our Métis citizens, assisting in the delivery of services based on policy, process, and specified regulations.
MNBC’s KAA-WIICHIHITOYAAHK (We take care of each other) Initiatives offers employees a competitive total compensation package including:
- comprehensive group benefit package or health-care spending account and enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan
- 15 paid days per year for statutory and
- cultural days (Indigenous Peoples Day, Truth and Reconciliation Day, & Louis Riel Day)
- carpool, parking & public transit subsidies (Provincial Office only)
- educational spending account and professional development allowances to provide annual funding to continue lifelong learning and skills upgrade.
- remote workplace supports.
- internal advancement & redeployment opportunities
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Provincial Health & Wellness Manager, the primary purpose of the Regional Health Coordinator- Coverage is to act as a health information conduit between MNBC, Métis Chartered Communities, and the regional health authority (RHA). The Regional Health Coordinator (RHC) will facilitate connections with Métis citizens, chartered communities, and RHA health professionals. This will allow the communities to identify educational health promotion and cancer and other chronic disease prevention opportunities that are community led and set priorities that are specific to this region. The RHC will also provide support for upcoming Health Gatherings within the Ministry and support with emergency planning as needed.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement the Letters of Understanding (LOU), develop a work-plan and maintain commitments made between MNBC and Local Health Authorities.
- Engage with Métis MNBC chartered communities regarding their specific cancer-prevention issues and readiness (e.g. smoking cessation, alcohol moderation, healthy weight, nutrition etc.).
- Strengthen the relationship between the regional health authorities and MNBC’s Employment and Skills Training staff in the region for Métis recruitment and retention in the healthcare system.
- Enhance relationships between Métis Chartered Communities (MCC) and regional health authority programs and services.
- Provide coverage for other RHC’s while on leave, vacation, or lieu time.
- Planning and coordinating Health Gatherings within the Ministry of Health.
- Support with emergency planning within communities as needed.
- Answer service requests and questions regarding health resources for Metis people in BC.
- Engage with the regional health authorities and regional BC Cancer staff to create a better understanding of the Métis experience in BC, with a particular focus on Métis people’s cultural safety and wellness.
- Network with MNBC chartered communities to build programs, proposals, and reports for available funding streams.
- Foster a practice of cooperative effort and collaborative problem solving around issues related to improving the health and wellness of Métis people.
- In collaboration with other MNBC staff, draft briefings, articles, and bulletins for communication and education purposes.
- Directly communicate with MNBC Health staff on all pertinent issues.
- Carry out various administrative tasks, as required.
- Planning, and coordinating meetings and events.
- Report on activities, meetings, and outcomes through various reporting mechanisms on a regular basis.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered.
- Degree or diploma in a relevant field (Health Sciences, Education, Social Sciences, Social Work, etc.).
- Recent related experience in a health care navigation setting.
- Knowledge and/or awareness of the historical and contemporary contributions made by Métis people in B.C.
- Knowledge and understanding of the current health landscape and resources available in all Health Authorities.
- Skills and experience in conflict resolution and having difficult conversations.
- Understanding of the unique challenges the Métis chartered communities face in the region and a desire to problem solve and provide possible solutions.
- Experience working with an Aboriginal organization/program that includes interacting and developing relationships with Aboriginal people and Aboriginal communities as well as government agencies and ministries, an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to lead, problem solve, and utilize team-building skills.
- Proven ability to utilize strong interpersonal skills to deal with others effectively.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace new technologies, including Microsoft 365 and other database/software required by the role.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of MNBC.
- There will be a need to attend meetings and events which may require work and travel outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
The above requirements are what MNBC is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change based on needs.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous (First Nation, Métis or Inuit). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATES MUST APPLY using “Regional Health Coordinator- #23-073” in the subject line of the email. Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Provincial Health and Wellness Manager
Métis Nation British Columbia