SAP Business Analyst (PM)
Requisition ID: 38934
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary purpose of this position is to investigate business requirements; design, develop, document and support SAP related solutions; and recommend changes to business processes. This position is a leader of SAP development projects through the preliminary investigation, analysis of requirements, business case and feasibility analysis, design, implementation, quality control, documentation, and post-implementation review phases. This position provides ongoing application support for SAP Plant Maintenance (PM) including system design and configuration, report development and user support. This position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Manager SAP Finance/Logistics within Technology Services Applications Development, works closely with other SAP and project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business customers, and other IT partners. May supervise external consultants, and evaluate developers for project deliverables.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Consults with Business users to understand their requirements.
- Develops SAP solution alternatives including work procedure changes, and recommends the most suitable alternative to assist customers in meeting their operational requirements.
- Designs, develops, modifies and maintains configuration for SAP PM and Logistics modules to meet business and operational requirements.
- Develops technical specifications including diagrams and charts to provide the blueprints for SAP developers to write or code programs.
- Prepares documentation including project charters, system requirements definition, business cases, system reviews, training materials, system configuration documentation, test documentation etc.
- Develops detailed project plans and tracks progress.
- Manages small projects through all phases from planning through to maintenance and support.
- Recommends changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
- Reviews or develops test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of SAP system configuration and integration.
- Performs testing of problem fixes (SAP fixes/notes), configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration across SAP applications.
- Remains current with developments in SAP applications and related technologies, including releases and enhancements/new functionality.
- Identifies opportunities to improve operational effectiveness through the use of technology and makes recommendations where appropriate (make changes to use of system, business process and/or add additional functionality).
- Delivers presentations to customers (users, departments) and technical staff on SAP related solutions and technologies.
- Provides problem resolution for calls referred by Help Desk.
- Investigates and follows up on SAP system errors/problems, and liaises with SAP, IT staff and others as required to resolve these issues.
- Develops and maintains SAP system configuration documentation.
- Provides technical assistance with SAP upgrades and the implementation of other modules, including integration to other applications.
- Provides support to corporate and departmental reporting. Assists in the use of existing reports and develops/documents additional reports and analytics as required.
- Monitors applications performance, trouble shoots problems with technical specialists.
- Participates in training of customers and provides on-going training support and guidance.
- Participates in the development of new standards.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
- Related Post-secondary degree, with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- SAP Certification (or an equivalent combination of training and experience).
- Minimum 5 years experience implementing and supporting SAP PM applications
- Experience with other SAP Finance/Logistics modules such as AP and AR is important.
- Good understanding of SAP platform integration.
- Understanding of PM and RE-FX integration with FI, CO, PS modules
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge/experience configuring and supporting SAP Fiori applications is desirable.
- Experience with SAP reporting tools such LIS reports for Logistics, BW/BI and Business Objects tools such as Analysis for Office, Lumira, Design Studio or Web Intelligence.
- SAP programming background is a strong asset.
- Combination of strong technical and business skills is required.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal business processes would be an asset.
- Experience creating and managing project plans for small or medium size projects ensuring user requirements are met and projects are completed on time.
- Experience developing, coordinating, and delivering training courses and materials to identified training populations.
- Knowledge / Experience for S/4 HANA would be strong Asset.
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development and the use of tools such as Azure DevOps (Visual Studio Team Services) would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Position End Date: August, 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $92,864 to $116,070 per year
Application Close: July 14, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.