Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Senior Engineering Technologist
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
STATUS: Full Time
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $81,779 – $96,626 annually plus benefits
We are looking for an individual with senior-level technical experience for an exciting supervisory role within the City of New Westminster’s Engineering Department. Reporting to a Transportation Engineer, this regular full-time position will oversee the Street Occupancy Permit and curbside management functions within the Transportation Division and directly oversee traffic management planning and permitting for large and complex construction projects and special events. The incumbent will supervise, train, and assign and review the work of at least two Engineering Technologists engaged in the permitting process and other technical work. In addition, the incumbent will support Transportation Engineers in the design and delivery of transportation capital projects in collaboration with the Design & Construction Division. This will include preparing and monitoring schedules and budgets for capital projects; determining project scope and specifications; participating in design development; evaluating proposals/tenders and awarding contracts; reviewing design drawings, specifications, and contract documents; and liaising with and coordinating consultants, contractors, internal staff, and external agencies. The incumbent may also participate in public and stakeholder engagement, prepare and give presentations to Council and committees, and respond to public enquiries related to the work.
- Graduation from a recognized University or an Institute of Technology with a Bachelor degree or diploma in civil engineering or a related field; or certification as a certified Engineering Technologist (AScT, Applied Science Technologist); membership in a relevant professional association plus 7-10 years of related experience (preferably in a municipal setting), or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Strong knowledge of the City of New Westminster’s 2014 Master Transportation Plan, the Active Transportation Network Plan, the City’s Bold Steps Toward Climate Action, and the city’s multi-modal transportation system.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current municipal transportation principles, design and traffic control guidelines and methods, policies and bylaws, and their applicability to all road users.
- Considerable experience in reviewing, commenting on, preparing, approving, and field checking traffic management plans for construction and special events on City streets.
- Considerable experience in administering and coordinating a variety of municipal infrastructure projects, with experience in managing multi-year capital programs is considered to be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in the RFP process, coordination and management of budgets related to the work, administration and oversight of contractor and consultant agreements and project delivery.
- Ability to prepare, read and interpret plans, specifications, technical reports, contract documents and related materials.
- Sound knowledge of the functions and responsibilities of various internal departments and external agencies related to the work performed, ability to establish maintain effective working relationships with people at all levels both inside and outside the organization, and to interact with the general public in a professional manner.
- Ability to administer and oversee assigned projects, collect, analyze and/or synthesize technical, statistical, costing and related data and information, and maintain records, reports, correspondence and other materials.
- Strong ability to perform planning, research and analytical tasks, apply statistical techniques and communicate effectively in oral and written form, and to conduct public and stakeholder engagement, and prepare reports and presentations related to the work.
- Ability to effectively supervise, train, plan, assign, and review the work of one or more subordinates engaged in the work.
- Valid BC Driver’s License (asset).
What we offer:
- Work-life balance – 35 hour work week, paid vacation leave, an optional compressed day off program.
- Health and wellness – extended health, dental, life insurance benefits, paid sick leave plan, plus other wellness-focused programs and benefits
- Retirement benefits – including municipal pension plan
- Career development – ongoing learning, leadership development, and education development program.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document at www.newwestcity.ca/employment by July 18, 2023
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq’eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.