Union of BC Municipalities
Senior Policy Analyst – Climate Action
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to work in a fast-paced policy environment that supports local governments in reaching their climate action goals? If you are a seasoned policy analyst looking for a career move, come join UBCM’s policy team! This position is full-time, permanent, 35-hour work week with the opportunity for hybrid work.
Please note, this position can be located in either Victoria, BC or Richmond, BC.
The Union of BC Municipalities is a member driven association formed in 1905 to provide a common voice for local governments in BC. UBCM’s vision is to effectively represent and serve all local governments in BC by being the recognized advocate for their common interests and by meeting the common needs of our membership. UBCM achieves this through policy work, program management and member services.
Convention continues to be the main forum for UBCM policy-making. It provides an opportunity for local governments of all sizes and from all areas of the province to come together, share their experiences and take a united position.
With two offices in Richmond and Victoria, UBCM has a small and dynamic team of dedicated staff who are focused on representing and serving all local governments in BC. Our staff take pride in all that they do. If you are looking for a fast-paced work environment, with a diverse portfolio, we welcome you to apply today to join our team!
This new Senior Policy Analyst within the UBCM’s Policy Team will serve as the primary contact for all issues related to climate action. You will lead policy research and analysis on all climate action related issues; liaise with provincial, federal, non-governmental and industry counterparts on climate action; support the implementation of recommendations from UBCM’s Special Committee on Climate Action; represent UBCM interests on external committees, boards and working groups; and identify opportunities to advance climate action both for our local government members and within UBCM’s corporate operations.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Eight years of relevant employment or consulting experience, in the federal, provincial, local government or non-governmental sectors in conducting policy research and analysis, consulting with stakeholders, preparing policy reports, briefing materials, and presentations, and acting as a team lead or project manager.
- Masters Degree in political science, public administration, planning or similar discipline.
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of how to mitigate the impacts of climate change; build community resilience and support communities meet their climate action goals and transition to the clean economy.
- Please note, candidates with less qualifications may be considered at a lower salary level.
UBCM prides themselves in offering a competitive benefits package to their employees, including:
- 3 weeks (15-days) starting vacation
- Comprehensive health benefits include:
- Extended Health and Dental
- Group Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Long Term Disability
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Paid Sick Leave
- Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan
- Professional Development
Richmond or Victoria, BC
Hours per Week
The position is available as a 35-hour work week (1.0 FTE)
Starting at $92,157 annually, $3,840 semi-monthly (2023 rates).
Detailed Job Description
Please review the detailed job description prior to submitting your application.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume by e-mail to Rebecca Williams, HR & Group Benefits Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. This posting will remain open until filled however we encourage interested applicants to submit their application as soon as possible.