Systems Analyst II
Requisition ID: 38822
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary purpose of this position is to investigate IT and business requirements; design, develop, document and support solutions; and apply knowledge of the best-of-breed processes and procedures in business applications to recommend changes to business processes. This position is to be a leader of software development projects through the preliminary investigation, analysis of requirements, business case and feasibility study, design, implementation, quality control, documentation, and post-implementation review phases. This position provides ongoing application support and responsibilities may include performing changes to business application configuration and programs. This position also performs hands-on programming when required. The position has access to confidential information and critical makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs hands-on programming when required to support projects and technology pilots
- Researches, evaluates and recommends new tools and methodologies for development of business applications
- Identifies opportunities to improve operational effectiveness through the use of technology and makes recommendations where appropriate (make changes to use of system, business process and/or add additional functionality)
- Recommends changes in technology platforms and processes that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing work loads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels
- Consults with customers to understand business processes and requirements, and applies critical thinking and analysis skills to deliver end-to-end solutions
- Manages projects through all phases from planning, design, development, implementation and hand-over to operational support
- Prepares documentation including project charters, business cases, statements of work, estimates, matrices of responsibility, training materials, system configuration documentation, etc.
- Develops systems alternatives including work procedure changes, and recommends the most suitable alternative to assist customers in meeting their operational requirements
- Develops technical specifications including diagrams and charts to provide the blueprints for developers to write or code programs
- Reviews or develops test scripts and scenarios to ensure adequate testing of system configuration and integration
- Performs testing, configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration across various applications
- Remains current with developments in applications and related technologies, including releases and enhancements/new functionality
- Delivers presentations to customers (users, departments) and technical staff on systems solutions and specific technologies
- Provides problem resolution for calls referred by Help Desk
- Investigates and follows up on application system errors/problems, and liaises with IT staff or vendors as required to resolve these issues
- Provides technical assistance to business applications upgrades and implementation of other modules, including integration to other applications
- Provides support to corporate and departmental reporting, assists in the use of existing reports, and develops/documents additional reports, as required
- Monitors applications performance, trouble shoots problems with technical specialists
- Participates in training of customers and provides on-going training support and guidance
- Participates in the development of new standards, and leads technical committees
- Has access to highly sensitive and business critical data from all City departments (e.g. taxes and utilities owing, parking tickets outstanding, and vendor pricing)
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Related post-secondary degree, with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 5+ years of experience in developing and implementing business applications
- 5+ years of experience in supporting enterprise Municipal applications (i.e. Customer Billing and Collection (e.g. Tempest), Permitting and Licensing (e.g. AMANDA, POSSE), Parking Enforcement systems (e.g. gTechna Command Centre), Fleet Asset Management (e.g. AssetWorks M5 or Faster Asset Management)
- 5+ years of experience with application development tools and standards as well as general programming principles and methodologies
- 5+ years of experience with application reporting tools
- 5+ years of experience with server technology and software
- 5+ years of experience with system integration between business applications and across technical platforms
- Experience with API Management and Integration Platforms (API design, gateways, analytics)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Thorough knowledge of current trends, standards, and products in Information Technology, (i.e. .NET and Object-Oriented Methodology, Mobile Computing, Cloud, Business Intelligence, Social Media)
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented
- Broad knowledge across multiple aspects of the business (i.e. organizational structure, key players, current business processes and supporting systems and services, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of configuration of applications
- Thorough knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of related corporate applications and work procedures
- Combination of strong technical and business skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to manage projects, multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset
- Knowledge of municipal business processes would be an asset
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Position End Date: May, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $92,864 to $116,070 per year
Application Close: July 16, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.