Systems Analyst II
Requisition ID: 38932
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position is responsible for advanced analytical and complex technical work in support of 311 CRM (Verint CM Pro), along with its related utilities, data analytics, and interfaced systems, such as Engineering Work (Infor IPS/Hansen), GIS, and SAP. Given general directions by supervisors, incumbent works independently and creatively, participate on information technology-related or business process-related transformations. The incumbent may act as project leader on such projects up to moderate complexity, cost and duration. The incumbent works with all levels of management from various City Departments to support end users, determine business requirements and implement projects. Projects may cover all aspects of the information services delivery life cycle. The incumbent may direct project staff and be responsible for their project performance. As business needs dictate, this will include directing junior staff, including hiring and coaching. The incumbent research, design and program computer applications. They are expected to work with a complex mix of tools including GIS, 311 CRM, interfaces, analytic and data tools, city’s custom-developed applications and third-party enterprise application suites that constitute the 311 technical environment. The incumbent researches and keeps abreast of information technology, customer service related, and municipal-related business trends and best practices; and contributes to departmental and enterprise strategic business and technology plans. Subject matter will vary greatly as 311 maybe expanded to other lines of business. The incumbent will be responsible for assessing the performance of a variety of customer service channels, and devise improvements via new system solutions and/or business processes. The incumbent will create and have access to confidential information regarding staff relations and business process changes as they affect staffing complements. As a result of these projects and initiatives, certain position functions will be substantially changed while other job functions will essentially be eliminated. Suggested changes may affect wage or salary rates, work loads, working conditions, promotional opportunities, and reductions or increases in staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulate technical and process recommendations which may affect wage or salary rates, work loads, working conditions, promotional opportunities, and reductions or increases in staff
- Analyzes and reviews departmental business processes and technical use cases; prepares recommendations, including business cases where appropriate, on the feasibility of computerization or redesign of computerized applications, or redesign of business processes; prepares estimates of costs and staff resources for implementation and ongoing sustainment
- Participates in and leads changes to computer systems and business process improvements; support and transition departmental staff and monitors system usage; monitors and evaluates system performance and implements improvements where appropriate
- Assists in the overall design, selection, implementation and support of the mix of hardware, operating systems, third-party technical and business software and related technical components that constitute the Hansen or 311 environment. Leads projects and directs junior technical staff
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical and environmental problems that cannot be resolved by junior technical staff. Provide training to other staff members as required
- Liaises with, and maintains effective working relationships with, consultants and hardware and software vendors in the course of carrying out the position’s duties
- Evaluates the need for, prepares detailed specifications for and writes new programs and revises existing programs utilizing all available and applicable software, services and languages
- Prepares test plans and data, and conducts program and system testing and debugging; identifies the need for additional testing
- Prepares and maintains detailed user, systems and operations documentations; prepares and provides presentations, staff orientation, training and practical guidance on the use of new or changed computer systems and software
- Estimates time and cost of system development activities based on prevailing project management standards and reports progress against those estimates
- Provides technical direction to programmers in junior technical staff, clients or consultants as the course of business requires
- Coaches and mentors junior technical staff in the use of programming and other technical tools, procedures and best practices
- Assists in the development of computer systems standards for system support and maintenance of various business functions
- Provides advice and assistance to Departmental staff at all levels concerning all aspects of use of information technology and Departmental business process-related best practices
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in programming techniques and languages, operating systems, data base management software, computing hardware, the current state of the Information Technology industry and industry trends, and related matters
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- University graduation at the Bachelor level in Computer Sciences or similar discipline, specifically including or supplemented by education and training in systems analysis and application development techniques; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in the information technology industry with considerable analytical and application development involvement, preferably in a municipal or multi-disciplinary corporate environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of information technology specifically Microsoft operating systems; cloud-based services such as Azure; office productivity software; network, client-server, relational and object-oriented concepts
- Considerable knowledge in data analytics including ETL methods, data modeling, data integration, reporting and analytic tools such as Qlik or Power BI
- Considerable knowledge in systems integration, in implementing and supporting near real-time transaction executions
- Considerable knowledge in learning and configuring enterprise software systems, on premise or on the cloud
- Considerable knowledge of the use of information technology in a municipal environment in general, and in a municipal engineering environment in particular
- Considerable knowledge of the application development tools and techniques in current use in the Information, including design, architecture, programming and documentation
- Considerable knowledge of modern office procedures and equipment, including mobility
- Sound knowledge of project management and systems analysis
- Sound knowledge of modern tools and techniques for business case development and evaluation
- Working knowledge of the operations, procedures and policies of various city departments
- Good project management and organizational skills
- Good conflict resolution and team player skills
- Ability to develop, document, review and revise formal working procedures and techniques, and detailed system technical documentation and user guides
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in assigning and supervising work of members of project teams
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels in the organization, and with external clients and business contacts
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships at all levels in the organization, external clients and business contacts
- Ability to work effectively with changing and competing priorities with frequent interruptions within a multiple task environment
- Ability to analyze the implications of proposed changes and to present proposals in non-technical language
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-080: $92864 to $116070 per annum
Application Close: July 7, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.