Theatre Attendant II
Requisition ID: 38965
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Audience Services Manager, Food and Beverage Manager and Events Manager, The Theatre Attendant 2 (TA2) is responsible for overseeing the work of Theatre Attendant 1 (TA1) positions in customer service roles at the Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT) and its venues, The Queen Elizabeth Theatre, The Orpheum, The Vancouver Playhouse and The Annex. The TA2 is responsible for ensuring all event requirements at the VCT are in place and communicated to other staff. The position is also responsible for training staff, overseeing event inventory logistics, and electronic record keeping. Duties are performed in accordance with established procedures but some independent judgement is exercised in dealing with minor problems.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures items for sale are correctly displayed, that there is adequate stock on hand, and replenishes to optimum levels as needed.
- Participates and delivers TA1 pre-shift briefings as required and in accordance with specific instructions for the event.
- Provides supervision, guidance, training, and coaching to TA1 staff as required.
- Supports staff orientation and cross training as required, and provides feedback to Audience Services Manager, Food & Beverage Manager and TA3s regarding staff performance.
- Contributes to the creation and implementation of Training Manuals and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Checks Operations Sheets for accuracy and completion as required.
- Ensures cleanliness of sales locations and equipment.
- Completes sales records and inventory forms.
- Assumes duties within the VCT Fire Plan, as required.
- Ensures ticket scanners are prepared and in working order prior to each event.
- Ensures programs are stuffed and distributed.
- Performs other duties as directed by the TA3.
This position requires flexibility in scheduling as scheduled hours of work are assigned and involve non-standard hours, including weekday, evening and weekend shifts.
Interested candidates must be available for a minimum of 4 shifts per week: Friday night, Saturday night, ONE shift on Sunday (either a matinee OR an evening shift) and one other weekday evening. Weekday evening shifts may begin as early as 4PM.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 is required
- Minimum 2 years’ supervisory experience in a customer service or hospitality industry, for example
- Valid Serving it Right Certification is required
- Food Safe Level 1 is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Is able to demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and collaboration.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Energetic, positive and enthusiastic self-starter. Proven track record of going above and beyond.
- Resourceful problem solver. Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, diverse, and multi-faceted team environment.
- Ability to work non-standard hours.
- Experience coaching, mentoring and delegating work, as well as taking direction from Supervisor.
- Contributing team member. Experience in building high-functioning teams with a focus on customer service.
- Ability to provide feedback to supervisors regarding staffs’ performance or training needs.
- Preferred knowledge of all VCT venues’ layouts.
- Preferred knowledge of VCT operations and regulations as they relate to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of special requirements related to the all food and beverage equipment.
- Preferred knowledge of EBMS and ability to use relevant information and reports.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of accuracy and attention to details.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position, including standing for long periods, navigating stairs and working in darkened areas.
- Ability to lift and carry items, up to 30 pounds.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work tactfully and effectively with the public and difficult patrons.
- Strong customer service skills
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: July, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $23.86 to $27.98 per hour
Number of Positions: Multiple
Application Close: July 2, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.