Trades II – Plumber – REPOST
Requisition ID: 38882
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position involves skilled plumbing work at a journeyman level which includes maintenance, repair, alteration and installation of plumbing equipment and systems in major recreational facilities, buildings, structures, marinas, concessions, golf course facilities and sewage lift stations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate must be able to effectively take direction and work with minimal supervision on a variety of equipment and systems including, but not limited to domestic water, sanitary, gas, fire protection, heating, brine and water cooled condensers, water parks, decorative and drinking fountains, indoor and outdoor pool circulation and interior and site drainage services. The incumbent must be able to use innovative techniques, best practices and materials to improve quality and workmanship, reduce costs, improve productivity and recommend ways to aggressively conserve water, minimize life cycle costs and provide estimates of work. This position performs other related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade Twelve preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
- Completion and certification of a recognized apprenticeship in the plumbing trade, and a red seal trade qualification certificate.
- Minimum of 5 years journeyman experience is preferred.
- A current Class A or B Gas Fitter Certificate issued by the Province of British Columbia is required.
- Cross Connection Certification is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In addition to the knowledge, skills and abilities implied above, the incumbent will possess considerable knowledge of the standard methods, best practices, regulatory requirements (WCB, WHIMS, BC Plumbing Code as amended by the City of Vancouver), drawings, specifications, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance, installation and construction of plumbing components and systems and sound knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills and ability to follow written and verbal directions.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory driving record. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate, Environment & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.95 per hour
Application Close: July 16, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.