City of Surrey
Transportation Planner – New Mobility and Parking
(REGULAR FULL TIME)
Are you looking for a career that will help build a community’s transportation future? We are currently recruiting for a Transportation Planner, New Mobility and Parking, to join our dynamic team of multidisciplinary professionals. This Transportation Planner will play a key role in supporting senior management in policy development and implementation of New Mobility, Parking, TDM and the City of Surrey’s Electric Vehicle (EV) Strategy. You will contribute in advancing the City’s transportation goals by crafting and implementing ground-breaking policies and practices around rapidly emerging New Mobility technologies such as shared-electric micro mobility devices (e-scooters, e- bikes), car-share and ride-hailing, Connected/Automated Vehicles, and other new transportation forms. The role will also shape the City’s Transportation Demand Management (TDM) and EV charging and network management policies/practices, which are evolving to meet the needs of a rapidly growing city. This is a role for a Planner who sees the transformative potential of new transportation forms, and the capacity to develop innovative policy and practices.
- Deliver policy solutions for emerging technologies that work within diverse business models and that respond to community specific requirements.
- Oversee the procurement and implementation processes for the City’s first shared electric bikeshare program.
- Test and adapt policies that keep Surrey competitive in a rapidly evolving transportation landscape (e.g. technology changes, electrification, micro-mobility, parking requirements, deliveries, use of the curb space).
- Implement community-based projects from the EV Strategy Action Plan.
- Define, develop and implement Parking and TDM standards and practices for new TDM options such as curbside electrified car- share, bike-share and bike facilities, transit passes, and others. This aspect of the role will involve cooperation with Transportation Planning and Community Planning staff as well as the development community and new mobility service providers.
- Support the land development process through policy development and implementation.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders and partners (e.g. Translink, BC Hydro, car-share providers, other local governments) to deliver new mobility and electrification initiatives and policy.
- Review reports prepared by consultants and partners.
- Research and provide recommendations on projects, policies and programs.
- Liaise with staff and partner groups in relation to EV infrastructure and New Mobility best-practices.
- Develop and implement a context sensitive Curb Management strategy and refine zoning bylaws in support of expanded commercial/institutional EV charging infrastructure.
- Develop financially viable plans.
- Conduct research, analysis and write reports.
- Conduct surveys and identify relevant issues.
- Lead, train and/or mentor other staff.
Along with a real passion for transportation, we’d like you to have:
- A Master’s Degree in planning, engineering, sustainability, resource management, or a related discipline and a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a transportation or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid and unrestricted driver’s license is required.
- Demonstrated experience with multi-stakeholder engagement.
- The ability to integrate diverse technical input and interests and facilitate multi-disciplinary collaboration.
- Demonstrated program implementation and project management skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Advanced customer service and public relation skills.
- A passion for researching and using data to help craft policy and evaluate the effectiveness of programs.
- Strong numerical and financial literacy.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, policies, statutes, bylaws and community plans.
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation.
- Experience with development and/or policy planning.
- Knowledge of development and implementation of Transportation Planning, experience with carsharing, and ride-hailing programs.
- Experience with transportation planning, development reviews, data analysis, and budgeting.
- Understanding of Parking and TDM regulations, and the ability to update Bylaws and apply them to development.
This Posting Closes on June 22, 2023