City of Port Alberni
Waste Water System Operator
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of over 18, 000 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City is currently looking for a Waste Water System Operator to join a progressive and dynamic organization as part of the Utilities team. The City of Port Alberni’s sewer crew is responsible for maintaining, repairing and improving existing sewer infrastructure as well as the construction of new storm and sanitary mains. Reporting to the Utilities Superintendent, this position requires a sound knowledge of both sanitary and storm construction, maintenance programs, and the methods involved in the repair of sewer infrastructure. In this position and as an experienced and certified operator, you will be involved in the mentoring and development of junior staff as the gain and refine the skills used in day to day operations.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Environmental Operator Certificate in Wastewater Collection Systems Operation – Level II (Level III certification would be considered an asset)
- Sound knowledge of municipal sewer operations
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- A minimum of 4 years of experience working in municipal wastewater collection systems
- Experience operating the tools and equipment used in sewer maintenance
- Demonstrated computer and technology skills
- Excellent leadership skills and a positive work attitude
- Physical ability to work in extreme weather situations
- Experience working around heavy equipment and sound knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations related to excavation safety, confined space, and hazardous environment awareness
- Valid BC Class 3 Driver’s License with air endorsement (required within one year)
- Successful completion of a pre-employment fitness test
The rate of pay for this position is $38.18 per hour and includes a full benefits package. In addition, this position works a flex-day schedule.
Please forward a resume and cover letter, including copies of your qualifications, by 4:30pm on July 17, 2023:
Attention: Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
By email: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.